Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Year 2013 in review

Before I go on to document 2014's shenanigans, I kinda wanted to make a megapost about the past year because 2013 was the year where I feel like my life really started.

At the very beginning of 2013 I made my first costume that was entirely from scratch (no bought or altered parts), Asuka (Shunya Yamashita figure ver) from Neon Genesis Evangelion.





(Later that year I completely remade it because I'm a high strung bitch bordering on the side of crazy. It is definitely my best costume. This is my favorite picture, possibly ever, taken by Ken Eden.)



Two weeks later I celebrated my 21st birthday in Vegas with Chloe, who I am forever indebted to for introducing me to such crazy awesome people. Within 3 hours of landing in Vegas, I was tucked into bed by my ever wonderful roommates. I'd say it was a successful 21st birthday.



Did I mention that the day we flew to Vegas was also me and my boyfriend's 3rd year anniversary? I can say so much about him, but mostly that I don't know what drives me crazier: him or the fact that I love him to pieces.



Then Fanime came around. More costumes were made, including Huntress and Robin from the Batman comics.



We also celebrated my boyfriend's birthday! I think people will still be talking about his cake when we're all old and grey. Thanks Jan!





I fast forwarded to Fanime (which occurs in May) because nothing much happened in the late winter/early spring because of some family issues. You know, your typical Asian daughter fare. Which ultimately ended with me moving out of my parents' place into a really great house with my boyfriend and other awesome cosplayers. Shenanigans happened, some of the most memorable being our housewarming party and drunk dancing with the cat.

Some weeks after, I attended Anime Expo for the 3rd year in a row...despite having planned not to attend. It has to be my least favorite convention, ugh. But I went to model for the Liz Lisa fashion show, which a few of my friends were running. Mostly, I just went to see friends. Because summer and shit. Why the fuck not.



I cosplayed briefly, but nothing new. But you know what was a new experience? Stripping in the middle of L.A. live and jumping in the bushes for a photoshoot. What? I swear it was a first time!



And then the biggie: my first San Diego Comic-Con! I don't know why, but it's online enormity made me think that I would never ever go. Especially with how difficult it is to get tickets. But I did! And it was fantastic, I don't care what the haters say about its commercialization and whatnot. You get every penny's worth of the $175 you spend, and there's always merch to grab or panels to watch and just loads of things to do overall! If I could stress one other thing it would be the gorgeousness of San Diego. I'd never went before, but the area surrounding SD is so lovely and exciting. We had things to do every night in the Gaslamp, barhopping and clubhopping was so much fun. Highlights of nightlife included open bar industry party, the worst knock off Fat Tuesday ever, getting my ass grabbed at a random bar (that has never happened to me...ever...and I was wearing a frilly super unsexy skirt), and being VIP big ballers. I also scared Joss Whedon with my friend.



I also had a new cosplay for this: genderbend Dante from Devil May Cry





After SDCC was Japan Expo. Meh. Con was boring, friends were fun! I didn't do anything new, but we did get a topsy turvy DMC group together.



And that was the end of summer. Holy shit, so much happened. Barely anything happened in the fall in comparison, but that's because of classes and such. I don't think there's much of a point even going over the fall season, because that's when this blog started so you can just go a few posts back and see what I did haha.

The year ended with my faves coming up from SoCal for a New Year's Party! We dressed monochrome without even realizing it. You can't sit with us.



So that was 2013 for me. I'm going to lie, there have been some VERY difficult patches in regards to this year's major events, and sometimes I still feel like a ticking time bomb. But sitting here in my chair, eating a bag of hot cheetoes (post-con reverse diet) and looking at what my life has become...it ain't so bad.

Saying I'm a drama-free person would be a lie (and plus, anyone who says that shit are the people you should be wary of anyways). Drama is the result of differing views, clashing opinions, and the reality that the world isn't a happy hand holding utopia. If I were truly a drama free person, I would be an utterly boring yes man. I'm not afraid to lead the direction I want my life to go in. And I'm finally okay with the fact that there will be people who won't agree with the life I lead - because I don't want to live an ordinary one.

And let's be real, I secretly love when the tide changes so suddenly because I get to see how I can meet the challenge and overcome it. Here's to 2014 and may it be filled with crazy friends and crazy adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment